Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Volleyball

I have been on a volleyball hiatus for about 6 years now. Other than a few pepper sessions with Brittany, my run-ins with a volleyball have been...well, non-existent. Until now. Within a time span of about 2 days I was invited to play on an SF city league team (with my old coach Amber Newell and friend Brittany Bushman) and ref for Salem recreation (with Angela Spainhower, wait - married name is Johnson). I was embarrassed with myself at how nervous I was to play again (especially after hearing 'oh, you're on the A team - that's the best one' when signing up at the rec office)! Little scenes ran through my mind about my inability to even pass a ball and being publicly humiliated. Of course, it wasn't as bad as I had envisioned and our practice games went alright! I guess you can say it's like riding a bike - once you've learned the skills, it all comes back to you when you pick up a ball. It really was fun, and I figure at this point, the only way to go is up! Then last night were the first games for which I officiated for Salem city. I got a brand new footstool and my very own whistle! Now, that's official. The competition in Salem is nothing like in Spanish - I believe there are only 6 teams in Salem, and many of them have never played any formal volleyball, unlike Spanish where everyone played and are still in rather tip-top shape. I took Landon with me to watch the games (he LOVES any sport) and he ended up being my score keeper. I told him he now has a full-time position for the next few months! It ended up being a ton of fun and it reminded me of how much I really do miss playing. For anyone who wants some good entertainment, we play Wednesday nights at the high school!

8 comments:

Kandas said...

I so want to come and watch!! How fun! It totally reminds of this night dance class I am taking. I was so nervous the first time, but you are right. It is like riding a bike. Something you do so much and love so much just doesn't vanish completely!! Even though my technique is still really sturggling in some areas, it is slowly coming back with time.

Stina said...

Sounds like so much fun! I'm glad it's all come back to you! So, we pulled up to our house last night and a bunch of Carlson's were outside. Someone ripped the biggest burp ever! I just laughed!!! I couldn't believe I could hear it from across the street. At least I couldn't smell it!!

Carol said...

Congratulations on your new venture. Sounds like fun - for you!

Ryan & Amanda said...

Hey Erin, it's Amanda Palmer (well Bowler now). I love your blog, it is way cute. The volleyball sounds so fun. I have thought a lot about playing in a rec league but felt kind of the same as you-am I going to be totally embarrassed since I've only played here and there the past few years. Good luck with it, I am sure you will do great!

PixieGirl said...

Hi Erin, I love your blog!!! It was so fun to go to lunch the other day. You are beautiful and have such a great life...I'm so proud of you! (I know that's a cheesy YW leader thing to say-but I am!) Keep livin' right and say Hi to Doug! Loves, Heather Griffin

Kandas said...

What happened to you!! I am worried. You haven't update in forever. LOL

Ben and Kristen Call said...

ERIN!!!!!
Hi this is Kristen Call (Hudson). I am so jealous that you are playing volleyball again...or at least was. HOw are things?

Ben and Jen Shell said...

I'm glad to see im not the only one 4 months behind on my blogging. LOL!! OOPS!